Arts & Crafts Matchmaker

During the weekend of May 1-2, I attended TWO Arts and Crafts fairs. Now talk about a WORLD of differences! The Brookside Arts Fair was a beautiful experience because it featured more of the fine arts. I certainly felt the ambience of extraordinary talent which created marvelous beauty. The Lawrence Art in the Park was a fun experience because it had a mixture of the fine arts, crafty crafters, street performers, and family games. Plus it was out in the open of park which created a relaxed atmosphere. I definitely felt the entertainment!

Why am I comparing these two functions that I attended in the same weekend? As an artist myself, it’s important to understand when looking for an event to show off your works because one needs to be aware of the type of audience each event brings. I’ve spoken with several other artisans about their experiences when it comes to selling their works. So for example, if you were landscape painter, it probably wouldn’t benefit you if you attended a fair surrounded by NASCAR fans. Or, if you were a crafter who made bugs out of gum wraps, it probably wouldn’t benefit the costs of a booth in a high art settings.

Do your research. Contact the organizers and ask questions about the kinds of crowd each event brings in. Or contact other artisans to get their points of views. However from the perspective of a browser or buyer, it may benefit you as well if you’re looking for a particular style that suits your needs. I’m glad we live in a world where there are so many opportunities! But like anything else in life, make sure it’s a good match.

2 Response to "Arts & Crafts Matchmaker"

  1. Unknown says:
    May 10, 2010 at 10:53 PM

    Have you ever had a booth at the Westport or Plaza Art Fair? I've enjoyed myself at both in the past! Every time I go, I want to start painting more, but then life happens and the idea never materializes. Maybe someday... :)

  2. MyCraftySpot.com says:
    May 13, 2010 at 9:08 AM

    Terry, I have not! But plan to get back into the swing of "boothing it" in the future.

Post a Comment